Category: Our Projects

Stuff: Innocent hospital worker killed as teen driver runs red light to escape police

A man killed by a driver fleeing police left home before dawn to secure a park, then sleep in his car for two hours before starting work at Christchurch Hospital. Kenneth McCaul was driving his Hyundai Grandeur when he was T-boned at the intersection of Glandovey and Idris roads in Fendalton about 4am on Tuesday. The impact shunted his car into

Continue reading

Can Police Minister Stuart Nash stop armed police patrols?

Police Minister Stuart Nash told Stuff that arming police is “not his call”, because it was an “operational matter”. The Police Commissioner is responsible for decisions about whether to arm Police, which he did after the Christchurch racist terrorist attack. However, section 16 of the Policing Act 2008 states that the Police Commissioner is responsible to

Continue reading

Tim MicKinnel: Police are trialing new heavily armed units. This ex-cop thinks that’s a very dangerous idea

Highly trained, armed police are a necessary tool in emergency situations, but roving teams eager to find work could be a recipe for disaster, writes investigator and former police officer Tim McKinnel for RNZ. Police announced yesterday they are to introduce a trial of Armed Response Teams (ARTs) in Auckland, Waikato and Christchurch, euphemistically describing their

Continue reading

Stuff: SAS commander Jim Blackwell says Defence Minister Wayne Mapp was informed of possible civilian deaths

An SAS commander says he informed the Defence Minister of possible civilian deaths during a raid in Afghanistan, again shifting responsibility for an alleged cover up. Defence Force top brass continues to stare down allegations of civilian deaths during a 2010 SAS-led raid, as the Operation Burnham inquiry restarts a public hearing this week. The hearing was upset last month after

Continue reading

Stuff: Question of who read Defence Force report into possible civilian deaths hangs over Operation Burnham inquiry

A highly-classified report which confirmed possible civilian deaths during a 2010 SAS-led raid in Afghanistan was read and placed in a safe in Defence Force headquarters — only to be found accidentally. Defence Force officials have claimed no knowledge of how the report travelled from coalition forces in Afghanistan to New Zealand and how it repeatedly escaped attention

Continue reading

NZ Herald: New inquiry details our spies’ role in the War on Terror – missile strikes, collateral damage and links to the CIA torture scandal

Our spies fed questions to the Central Intelligence Agency which were put to someone taken in the illegal rendition and torture programme operated by the United States’ agency, a new inquiry has found. At the time the questions were posed, the NZ Security Intelligence Service “was not aware that detainee interrogations involved torture”, according to

Continue reading